Rachael Schmidt-McCleave - Barrister
Rachael Schmidt-McCleave (BA(Hons), LL.B(Hons), MA, LL.M(Hons), AAMINZ, is an experienced litigator who has worked in public and private practice in NZ and the UK since admission in 1996. Rachael joined the Independent Bar from Minter Ellison Rudd Watts in 2014. Rachael has extensive expertise in public law and judicial review in particular as a result of almost a decade at the Crown Law Office. As well as being available for litigation work, Rachael is an Associate of the Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of NZ and is experienced in, and available for, statutory and other investigations (including employment investigations), mediation and arbitration work.
In addition to public law and judicial review, Rachael's current work includes:
- Medico-legal and health disciplinary and regulatory work, including prosecutions and independent investigation work under the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003;
- Legal Advisor in disciplinary proceedings to the Plumbers, Gasfitters & Drainlayers Board
- ACC review work
- Privacy, Official Information Act and Ombudsman advice
- Employment and health and safety law advice and representation
- Maori Fisheries Act 2004 and Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act2004 advice and representation and Maori trust litigation
- Independent investigatory work (in employment and other statutory investigations)
- Education law, including student disciplinary matters
- Overseas Investment Act issues, including both applications and enforcement.
Rachael Schmidt-McCleave T: 04 299 3244 M: 027 569 8243